Friday, January 25, 2013

Rabbit Study and A Different Type of "Watercolor"

Rabbit Study/ oil on board/ 4" x 4"/ sold
Day 24 in the Thirty in Thirty Challenge. My theme for this challenge is color.

Today, in addition to looking at the warm and cool contrast in the rabbit's fur, I tried out a round brush. This brush seemed to smooth out the color jumps from the square strokes of the chiseled flat (most obvious in the ear). I changed back to the flat for the background and liked the texture that this gives.







Also, I started experimenting with silk dyes today. I paint silk with dyes in a manner similar to watercolor. This is a sampler of the basic colors before steaming (which intensifies the colors).These particular dyes must set for 24 hours before steaming so I will eventually show the difference in the dyes before and after steaming. I am considering "Silk Saturday or Sunday" as a goal, in addition to Watercolor Wednesday. We'll see how that goes.

3 comments:

  1. Love how you're playing with color Sue, great little painting of the rabbit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Liz. I love the colors you use in your paintings, so your comment means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this rabbit! It's delightful with the red background.

    ReplyDelete