Monday, February 25, 2013

Blood Oranges: Orange Blue Palette

Blood Oranges/ oil on board/ 4" x 4" /
This painting continues to explore the limited palettes described in the
book: "The Yin and Yang of Painting". This one is orange/ blue. In addition, I have been experimenting with different priming paints and this one was a yellow acrylic that was very slick. When I attempted to use Julie Ford Oliver's fracturing method (link) on this surface, it scraped clean as a whistle. Eventually, I decided to scratch the surface for texture.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Sue - I love the life and colors in this beautiful painting.
    If I read your post right, when you tried my technique it wiped it clean (as a whistle). I think maybe you didn't use the tool "lightly" enough? Can you remember how I kept going back over parts placing more paint on? It is a layering process. You list it as an oil painting but then you mentioned yellow acrylic? With acrylic it is easier because it dries quicker.
    I see you still ended up with a similar look and fractured surface. Your background looks pretty similar to mine and the oranges look more like what Charles Mundy achieves with his scratched surface. Between the two you have done a lovely painting. The thing to ask yourself is what parts you enjoyed working on because it is my belief what we enjoy is what we should do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Julie. I did the same thing today so I will try lighhter the next time and I will look up Charles Mundy. I appreciate the thoughtfulness and thoroughness of your comment.

    ReplyDelete