Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Why I practice with Fruit and Oil

Study Peaches and Cherries/ oil on re-used board/ 6 x 8/ Low Country

You know that I have come to painting late in my life. Not the interest in all things art but the practice and learning "how to". You also know that my primary medium is watercolor and yet most of my small study paintings, most of my recent workshops/classes and books are about oil painting. This is because I find that oil painters, in general, have done a better job of describing what I need to learn to become better at painting. Most of my favorite watercolorists paint first in oil and describe their methods from that beginning.
 I know my heart wants to paint loose, abstracted lost-edged but still realistic paintings. Painting small oil painting exercises of fruit seems to be my way to make progress toward these goals. Thank you for sharing my progress and for supporting my learning.




 I am so excited and honored to share that my painting "Vigilance" was chosen by juror Judi Morris to hang in the Northwest Watercolor Society 75th International Exhibition opening in Seattle tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment