Thursday, June 4, 2015

Larger Irises

I wanted to try the pink irises larger. I didn't want a vertical composition so I added a different companion iris. Next, I wanted to paint on a gallery wrapped canvas but have a smooth surface. Furthermore, because I haven't done many large paintings,  I wanted to do this painting as inexpensively as possible. I ordered Premium gallery wrapped stretched cotton canvas from Blick (worked for the cost) . I re primed it twice with gesso. This gave a fairly smooth surface.
For the painting, I under painted the entire composition with transparent colors. I then overpainted using careful strokes and precise colors (Full disclosure: I messed this painting up once with too many opaques. I was disappointed in how "muddy" and impenetrable the background became). The lighting on this is not great so the next problem will be working on photographing a larger painting....

No comments:

Post a Comment