Thursday, May 12, 2016

Round Objects

Thank you to the many of you who sent me a note after yesterday's post.
When I write these posts, I am not sure anyone receives them, so your notes are appreciated.

This little painting started as an exercise working on round objects (the mini watermelon and the brown egg). This image doesn't show the subtle warms that add dimension (light rose in the watermelon and yellows on the egg).  After painting the watermelon and egg, I liked them so much that I added a glass tea cup to complete a mini composition.
This is NOT the way to make a painting. I have wiped, painted over or just thrown out are tons of paintings without a clear idea of the light/dark pattern PRIOR to starting. This study also does not have a compelling (interesting) dark/light pattern. If you are one of my students reading this, go find a favorite painting and look at its value plan...Now think about a painting that you have been unhappy about and determine if the basic skeleton (value plan) of that painting isn't the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment