Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Still Life Study


I have been working on cleaner, brighter paintings. Everything I read reminds me that a big problem with "chalky" or "muddy" paintings is painting inaccurate color temperature (Presently I am reminded of this because a horse I am working on keeps rolling in the dust....(in reality, I keep erroneously adding white to areas that should be warm...)).

To practice "warm" shadows and "cool" light, I set up a still life. I wiped out my shadows every time that I painted them "cool" (thinking "shadow= blue/grey" which is "cool" which is wrong) ("wipe")).  The  "cool" light allows use lots of white in the mixes in the lit areas ( remember that white "cools"...) and keep the white OUT of the shadow mixtures...Now back to the horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment