Monday, November 23, 2015

Day 1 of Favorite Subjects

Budgie Study #1/ unmatted watercolor10.5 x 6.75/ $75
Purchase here
I have been busy working on commissions and submissions for the end of 2015. Finally, I am ready to add twelve of my favorite subjects and then my annual 12 in 12 tips or favorite finds.
Day One is a small watercolor of a budgie from Sylvan Heights Landing Zone. I painted this same image with a contrasting slightly greyed purple background. I expected the this unsuccessful background (the complimentary color to yellow and a greyed hue) to make the yellow "glow". Unfortunately, this wasn't the effect.  Therefore, I repainted this little bird with all jewel tones to give the effect of bright sunshine. The full value range (from white to the darkest dark) also creates the effect of illumination. In addition, the blurred edges soften the image and made it less "stuck-on" and believable.

No comments:

Post a Comment