Monday, August 25, 2014

Leeks: A Study for the 30 in 30

Leeks/ oil on board/ 8 x 10/ 
This is a new favorite painting of mine.
Technically, it is interesting because I took a failed painting, flipped it upside down and then painted this on top. This was fantastic. First, I LOVE the red undertones from the previous painting and I ended up "digging" a few out. Second, because I had to paint over a bowl of fruit, I was forced to use the thickness of paint that I really want to use every painting (and don't).
Lastly, I love the green and white of leeks and green onions and this one makes me smile because I went to the grocery store to buy either (the clerks seem to have grown accustomed to me "modeling the produce": standing each pear up before making a selection, chasing the tumbling pile of turnips across the floor when I have to checkout the bottom one for its color and shape). This day, however, the clerk checking me out remarked "man, those are some "big ass onions"..... I wanted that to be the title of this painting (and it is in my mind). 

This painting is another test for the September 30 in 30 challenge. If I sign up for this challenge  I want to paint 8 x 8 or 8 x 10 paintings: each painted quickly to allow for a little lower price than my paintings that take more time: so the subjects have to be familiar and simple to do this. Still not committed.....

2 comments:

  1. Sue, I signed up for the challenge for the first time a couple of days ago. I also have a lot of trepidation but figure I may as well give it a try. Please consider signing up also. You CAN DO IT. By the way, I live over in Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Kathy. I am going to your blog now to see whether you have your first day done yet

    ReplyDelete