Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My Monarch Experience

You know, from my paintings, that I love flowers and that is where this began...

Please visit http://www.livemonarch.com/free-milkweed-seeds.htm. Early this spring, I planted (and gave away) milkweed plants from the link above. About 3 weeks ago, my yard was visited by three monarch butterflies. Soon I found the caterpillars, collected, fed (milkweed) to three of them and watched the others in the yard. To actually experience this is indescribable. If you have children in your life, please consider learning more. Everything you need is at the link.





1.Monarch caterpillar and milkweed. 2. As it attaches (makes a "holdfast") to become a chrysalis. 


3. Early and 4. later stages of early chrysalis. 

5. About 9 and 10 days later and minutes before emergence.



Look at the newly emerged butterfly: tiny wings and thick body that in about 20 minutes, became the sleek bodied beautiful winged butterfly that stayed about 2 hours, drying.







I saw them again this morning. And now back to painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment