Monday, June 17, 2013

Pet Project #6: Tuxedo Cat Study in oil and watercolor

Pet #6: Tuxedo Cat in oil/ oil on board/ 4" x 4"/ sold
I painted this little cat in response to a request for black and white cats. Although this is not the size of the pet project, it will still generate 25% of its sale to Animal Crackers


Artist Note: I set this as an exercise to compare the same painting as an oil and a water color (below). I have come to believe that watercolors painted with layering can achieve the same depth of color as an oil painting. I also believe that watercolor is better at "describing light" as it passes through things (e.g. backlit flower petals, irises (of the eye), glass, iridescent shells). However, that may be biassed as I have more experience with watercolor.

No comments:

Post a Comment